Your generous support makes it possible for the CBF grants program to invest in the entire pro bono and legal aid system and make an impact that none of us could on our own. CBF grants now total over $2 million each year, supporting dozens of pro bono and legal aid organizations serving the Chicago area and a number of innovative projects that are making a longer term impact. Each day, thousands of people in need receive help as a result of the CBF’s grants, including domestic violence victims, people at risk of losing their homes, immigrants fleeing abuse, and many other low-income and disadvantaged people in the Chicago area. See the 2017 grants.
- support dozens of outstanding pro bono and legal aid organizations serving our community
- help dedicated attorneys pursue legal aid careers
- make it possible for pro bono attorneys to most effectively make a difference
- underwrite court-based help desks and pro bono projects that make the justice system more user-friendly and accessible for people in need
The civil legal needs of low-income people run the gamut, from very simple questions that can be answered online or by court help desks, to complex problems that require hours of specialized representation. This calls for an integrated legal aid system providing a range of services. The CBF supports such a continuum of legal services to help people in need, ranging from web-based resources to legal aid hotlines and advice desks, to full representation and larger impact litigation and advocacy.
The CBF awards four main types of grants each year:
- Organizational Support Grants
- Special Project Grants
- Fellowships and Scholarships
- Other Grants, such as CBF Young Professionals Board/CBA Young Lawyer Section Partnership grants and paying for the CBA membership for attorneys at our grantee organizations
The annual CBF Investing in Justice Campaign continues to be the primary engine for the CBF’s grants. This year’s Campaign set new records across the board, yielding more than $2.1 million in grants to more than 30 pro bono and legal aid organizations thanks to more than 5,000 individual donors, a number of generous matching contributions from participating firms and companies, and additional funds the CBF is able to leverage through the Campaign grants process from a number of dedicated foundations and government entities.
For more information about CBF grants, contact Dina Merrell at 312-554-1206 or email@example.com.