Other Court-Focused Initiatives
The CBF regularly works to bring together relevant stakeholders-including the bar, the courts, pro bono and legal aid organizations and others-to develop integrated strategies to address unmet needs and emerging issues in the courts.
Examples of the CBF’s other court-focused initiatives include:
- Convening the CBF Advisory Committee on Pro Se Services to develop recommendations to improve access to justice for self-represented litigants in the Circuit Court.
- Developing a comprehensive CBA/CBF Pro Se Resolution in 2009, which serves as a roadmap for how the bar can lead to increase access to justice for people without lawyers.
- Advocating for a central starting point at each courthouse in the Circuit Court of Cook County to serve as a starting and triage point where people can obtain basic information about the courts and the judicial process, access to existing court-based advice desks, resources and referrals to lawyers and other appropriate services.
- Developing recommendations for increased signage and other guidance at the Daley Center to provide clear, accessible information for people without lawyers to navigate through the courthouse.
- Developing recommendations for a judicial education curriculum, training and other resources to help judges and court personnel most fairly, efficiently and effectively manage cases involving parties without lawyers.
For more information or to get involved, contact Kelly Tautges at firstname.lastname@example.org or (312) 554-8356.